Day 84, 85 and 86: The Sickness

The week has been rough and it isn’t getting better.  Yes, I am sick.  The common cold – stuffy nose, lack of energy, etc.  I have been overloading on water and hoping to wash out the virus.

Tuesday morning the cold had just started.  I thought the run might be tough but it actually opened my sinuses up.  While running, I felt better than any other time of the day.  It was getting out the door that was the problem.

The morning was chilly.  I wore my compression pants for extra warmth.  Probably won’t be long before the gloves and hat come out.  The temperature was in the mid 50s.   The cold and my cold combined for a slow start.  It was a slow beginning.  I ran around an 11-minute mile for the first 2 miles.  Cold weather seems to be tough to get going in.  Motivation, the cold…I’m not really sure what plays into it.

I bought some reflector bands for melissa and I.  The mornings have gotten so dark and I would rather be safe.  So I found a cheap pair of relective armbands on Amazon. It gives me a feeling of security at least.

As I ran I warmed up…and sped up.  I finished the 5 miles in 55:27.  I wasn’t meaning to but it looks like I was trying to run negative splits.  Woo-hoo!

These maintenance runs are pretty routine now.  I’m not learning anything new about myself as a runner.  Well the one thing I learn from these is no matter my motivation or fatigue level, I have the discipline to get out the door.   I almost certain I haven’t missed a training run, but I’ll get to that.

Then came yesterday.  My nose was acting as a running toilet.  I continue downing water, which has helped my throat.  I’m still fighting fatigue.  This 8-miler was going to be interesting.

I forced myself out the door.  After a half mile my sinuses and breathing got much better.  But this run occurred late in the afternoon, so it was pretty warm – pushing 80 degrees.  With all these factors, I felt like I was a plodder, which I think is okay.  There’s nothing wrong with being in the back of the pack. But I started faster than I believe.  I was around 10-minute miles.  However I was closer to 11’s on the second half.

In a hurry – Melissa and I had a dinner event – we didn’t bring water.  Big mistake.  Lucky for us we took a route by her sisters and stopped midway for a water stop and a breather.  Up to this point I was doing pretty good. Shortly after my cold made itself noticed.  I began dragging ass.  I finished 8 miles in 1:25:14, keeping a 10:38 pace.

Got home from that and hurried off to a dinner.  Then came home and fell asleep by 9:00.  Exhausted.  Woke up for my birthday run.  Still stuffy and fatigued.  I went back to sleep. Hope the extra rest gets me healthy.

Word of Advice:  If you suffered midrun stomach problems, you’ve probably want to know what caused it.  Runner’s World has a list of foods and situations that cause GI trouble and how to fix it.

Get out and fill your passion bucket,


Me and my favorite runners


About kdenny01

I became a father at 32 years. Hadley Elise has given me so much joy and has been another chapter in my life telling me not to be afraid. Fatherhood is awesome.
This entry was posted in active and healthy lifestyles, Marathon Training for beginners and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s